Crossing report. Tuesday 21st June 2022

Weather – disgustingly hot

Conditions – disgustingly hot

Underfoot – Absolutely fine

We started from Osmotherley at 04:00 at a decent pace. We chose 21st June as it was the longest day, and we were attempting to do the double (in 20 hours).

We started off an amazing pace and were set for our time. We had our first checkpoint at Clay Bank and our supporter was just amazing. Everything was laid out for us military precision so we could get a 5 minute turnaround.

Conditions underfoot were good. When we did it in September last year and things were a bit wet. This year, they were perfect and very springy.

After the first checkpoint, we ran for most of the way to the Lion Inn. This was where the sun was intense and more fluids were needed (but hindsight is a wonderful thing). Up until this point, we didn’t pass anyone.

The The Lion Inn, Blakey Ridge were amazing. Although they were closed until 12 they sorted us out with a big pint of coke each!!!! Thanks folks.

We drank, re-taped feet, drank some more and then headed off in the direction of the bogs (something we’d been dreading, given they were horrendous last year)

This year however, the bogs were brilliant. Again, very bouncy underfoot. Like a new pair of running trainers!! There was only one part of the bog that was wet, and who found it…. You guessed it!!!! Other than that, the bog was just a matter of finding a straight path.

We crossed the stepping stones and all was good up to the next checkpoint in Scarborough.

This was again a relatively quick stop. Fluids, ibuprofen, socks and off. We again found this more pleasant that last time as it was again a lot dryer, and managed to run a good portion of this. It’s a relatively simple path, up and down but all very clean and dry.

We stopped at Ravenscar for 10 mins. Had a quick freshen up, another change, food, (not enough) water, then headed back on our way for the return.

The heat was still quite intense at this point but we managed to get through it, met a few people (a young couple do it half way) and two Ex Marines ( we salute you fellas!) and headed to Fylingdales.

For me, this was the end. I couldn’t get hydrated anymore and knew that I had to stop. John , carried on and ran a good proportion up until Heller Beck, where it was decided that enough was enough.

We had a cracking day. Remained friends throughout and enjoyed our 1.5 (ish) crossing!!

Will we return……?

Depends what our wives say!!!